Canada has a housing crisis. Skyrocketing costs in small and large urban centres have made homeownership a dream that is out of reach for many, and rental options more and more tenuous. In Toronto, the wait for subsidized housing can go up to over a decade. With over half of Toronto’s population unable to afford a one-bedroom apartment on one income, more and more LGBTQ2S folks are overlooked, with them finding themselves precariously housed, or homeless.
As Canada’s National Housing Strategy states, large gaps remain in understanding the housing needs of LGBTQ2S communities. But the statistics available are staggering. 25-40% of homeless youth identify as LGBTQ2S. Many homeless LGBTQ2S youth do not access shelter and housing support because of high rates of discrimination and violence in shelters. Issues continue throughout one's lifespan, with many LGBTQ2S seniors facing or fearing discrimination within care facilities, leading to many having to go back into the closet in order to access vital support and care.
Safe, accessible, and affordable housing is the cornerstone to ensuring that marginalized communities are able to thrive.
We call on all parties to support:
- The funding of LGBTQ2S-specific shelter and transitional housing supports for youth.
- The funding of LGBTQ2S housing and care supports, and others who require assisted living supports.
- Continued and increased funding for subsidized, co-operative, and non-market housing.
You can ask your local candidates what:
- They will do to eliminate LGBTQ2S homelessness.
- They will do to support LGBTQ2S community members in aging with dignity and respect.
- They will do to ensure that LGBTQ2S community members have access to high-quality, affordable housing options.